Monthly Archives: January 2021

New Firepit

After 16 years or so my old firepit has finally rusted through. The legs pushed up from the bottom and it was time to say goodbye. This provided a nice opportunity for another COVID project and something to keep me busy for a while. After browsing around for a bit looking at designs I turned to fusion360 to design it up. Final design looked like this:

Was trying to make something quite stout, but still composed of straight lines for easy cutting/fabricating. As is my usual, to not-quite overkill it, but still go beyond what necessary I ordered a 4’x8′ sheet of 7 gauge steel (3/16). I ended up using about half the sheet which was $150, so the materials for the project were about $75.

Tooling on the other hand, well… I needed a saw to cut the pieces up. I love my cold cut chopsaw, and found they have circular-saw style ones for sheet goods. I picked this Milwaukee up and it is truly amazing. Its sort of freaky how you can cut steel like a sheet of plywood. Big downside is there are metal shavings EVERYWHERE in my garage. Wear your PPE with these saws. HOT SAWDUST!

In fusion360 I exported the measurements for the side pieces and the ‘feet’. I drew these out on the sheet paper I use to cover my workbench (which I love doing each time I begin a new project – fresh start!). Then I used little magnets to hold the paper down and spray painted around the edges giving me my cut lines. Used a straight-edge the guide the saw and spent a few hours cutting all the pieces out. If you want to build your own, the .pdf dimensions are here (Sides | Feet).

This would have been a quick job with a MIG welder, but all I have is a TIG, so it took a little longer. But my welds got better and I was pretty surprised at how well the fit up was. I used a construction square clamped to workbench to keep the angled sides at 90 degrees.

I did all the welding on the ‘bottom’ so when its in normal use you can’t see any of the welds. Here you can just see the tacks I did to piece it together, but I eventually ended by doing a full bead down those sides. The bottom piece I had to cut a bit with my jigsaw to get the vent holes in. It was way slower than the Milwaukee. Maybe I should have not cheaped out and just got a plasma cutter!

With a little help from the kids I got this beast off the workbench and moved into the backyard. Tonight we test drive it!